Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, September 24, 2010

Hospital Stay

After Jude was born we were in the hospital for a few days. I wasn't expecting (or prepared for) a c-section. Finding out that I wasn't going to be able to carry anything for about four weeks was a shock. It was so difficult to get in and out of bed. Being told that you shouldn't use your ab muscles is alot easier said than done. Jude ended up jaundiced and throwing up his food so the nurses sent him down to the ICU nursery. That was pretty upsetting. My poor little baby was there for about 36 hours. I tried to get down there for every feeding, but sleep did take precedence once in awhile. I ended up having an iron deficiency and had some issues walking down to the nursery.
He seemed to be perfectly content having his first sunbathe!

He had lots of visitors in the hospital: Rach (who I called when I woke up on that first morning and couldn't get a hold of my dad - she stayed with me all day), Christi, Dad, Lindsay (who also stayed one day with me and kept me entertained while Jude was in ICU), Jaime, Mike and Sami, Cara (who drove all the way from Clinton to come and see us), Lisa, Sharon (who stayed with us after we left the hospital) and Grandma Sue.

On the Wednesday I was finally getting released it took us forever to get out of there. Dad, Sharon and I played some cards while waiting for the okay.

The plan was for my dad to bring me a bottle of Harp beer while I was in the hospital. I hadn't had beer for over ten months and really wanted one, but after the very long labour and delivery I just didn't feel like it. But, then my Aunt Lynda suggested my milk would come in if I had a Guinness and that was a great idea. It tasted great and the next day my milk came in.
I had knit a hat, sweater and booties for Jude's going home. Unfortunately, the sizes didn't quite work out. It was like Goldie Locks: the sweater was too big, the hat was too small and the booties were just right.

No comments: