Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Mudball

On Monday night I had my first baseball game with the Bears (a new team I've joined). It was pouring rain all day. I figured the game would be cancelled, but just in case I asked for a ride from one of the guys on the team (turned out we had to show up no matter what to ensure the team didn't default). About an hour before I was getting picked the sun was shining and Dan asked if I still needed a ride, or if I would take the motorcycle. I hadn't really thought about taking the bike due to the rain, so I asked if he could still pick me up. Boy was I glad I did. It started to pour about ten minutes before he picked me up. We both figured the game would be cancelled. No such luck. Ump said we were playing.

Now, I play backcatch. If any of you have ever been to a baseball diamond when it rains, have you ever noticed how home plate normally seems to be a small lake? Well, this was a red mud lake. No matter what I tried to do the ball somehow bounced in one of the huge puddles and sent mud flying in my direction. By the end of the game I had chunks of mud in my hair, I couldn't see out of my glasses and my uniform was caked with mud from wiping the ball off. Even after a shower when I got home I still had mud in my ears. But, I had a great time!

No comments: