Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Phelps Obsession

I just returned from my friend's place, where I watched Michael Phelps' final race at the 2008 Olympics. I am so happy this part of the Olympics is over. I've been obsessed. I've stayed up late to watch every time he was in the pool in the morning. Gotten up early to watch every time he was in the pool in the evening (Beijing being 12 hours earlier). This week has had me remembering all those Saturday mornings waiting for my swim meets. Getting on the bus early and travelling to a different pool in Huron County, sitting at the Judith Gooderham pool in Goderich waiting for my heats. The excitement of winning those different coloured ribbons (which I believe were lost / thrown out in one of the many moves over the years). Watching the medley relay tonight reminded me so much of my team relays oh so many years ago. I was always the breast stroke leg and Laurie Dawson was always the butterfly (she was amazing). Normally we had different people in the back and freestyle legs every week (depending on who was around - I believe a friend subbed in one week because she was visiting). But, we always won. That is until we turned 12. That's when everyone else grew about a foot and I didn't. After that I never won another race (that I can remember). I'm still a strong swimmer and still have a strong breast stroke. When I swam in those two mini-triathalons, I swam breast stroke. It's a slow stroke compared to the others, but it's still my favourite. I found it strange when they were discussing the different strokes and said that the breast stroke was the most difficult. The butterfly is insane and was definitely the one we were in awe of when we were kids (and I'm still in awe of). Mostly what I'm getting from this week of intense Olympic watching, is that I want to go back to swimming. I miss it so much. The problem: my fear of water. After years of swimming, I developed an irrational fear of the water. I read Jaws when I was about twelve. Not a good idea. It really messed me up. I still swim, I still waterski, I received my scuba diving certification a few years ago, I still get on a windsurfer when I get the opportunity; but, it freaks me out. I don't just jump in a pool like I used to. I have a pool in my building complex that I haven't been in at all this summer. Part of that is how busy I am, but most of it is me freaking out. So, I'm thinking of taking a class. I'm not super happy with the options that Mississauga has on offer in the pool. But, I don't think it matters at this point. I think I just need to get back in the pool. I guess I'm happy with my obsession of Phelps this week, if for nothing else than it getting me back into a pool and swimming. And I think that might be one of the point's of the games, getting people interested in the sports. Well, the hype and the attention on Phelps may just do it, for me.

No comments: