Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, February 19, 2010

Speed Skating, etc.

After the Whistler event, we had to rush to get to speed-skating back in Vancouver. The bus driver turned on the air conditioning half way back to the city and it was soooo cold on the bus. A ferry ride and another bus got us to the Pacific Coliseum. I will not say the bus got us close. I'm really surprised by how far away the buses are from the actual doors we can get in to the events. The buses were not stopping at the stop near the entrance to the venue so we had quite a bit of a walk to get to security and then another walk to get to the doors. So far, UBC Thunderbird arena probably has the best seating (ie enough room to not feel squished).

We missed the first event of speed skating, but did get to see 500 m women's short track and Canada won silver. We also saw the men's relay semi-finals and the men's 1000 m heats. Very exciting with lots of crashes, false starts and disqualifications. There was some stupid guy in the stands who kept yelling after the racers went to the start (even with all the notices to be quiet at the start of the race). The entire place starting shhsh'ing him. If you ever get a chance go see some short track speedskating live.

Yesterday I had a day off due to my snowboarding half-pipe tickets being cancelled. Apparently the conditions for standing room were dangerous. So, Jason still had the day off (since he was going to go with me) and we headed to the aquarium. Fiona loves the fish. We saw the sea otter (my fav) and the beluga whale show.

A nice relaxing day and a gorgeous day. We are having beautiful weather here in Vancouver and Megan, Fiona and I are about to head out for a walk while the sun is still out.

Tonight: my first men's hockey game. Norway vs. Germany.

No comments: