Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Cottage and Poker

At the beginning of June Lisa and I headed to the cottage for a weekend with my dad. We left Toronto around noon, but didn't make it to the cottage until around 5pm. No, the traffic wasn't bad. Apparently, we shouldn't stop in Barrie on the way to the cottage. We stopped to get something to eat and didn't want to leave the patio (beer just tastes so much better on a patio) and then we had some running around to do. Finally we made it to the cottage and had a very relaxing weekend.

Dad was actually up at the cottage for a 'boys weekend' with the guys at the cottage down the road. Golf and poker. Lisa and I actually got invited over for the poker. (This after Lisa had been cheating at cards. Now, she says she just wasn't paying attention.) Lisa did really well and came in second in the tournament. I was fourth, so much better than I expected. It was fun.

Saturday was pretty miserable (except for the beautiful double rainbow - I couldn't get the entire thing in the picture) so we just stayed in the cottage and watched a really bad movie. Please stay away from the movie 'Casanova'. It just kept getting worse as it progressed. It's a good thing Heath also made 'Brokeback Mountain' last year it would be pretty bad if this was the only movie he made last year.

We were invited back for more poker on Saturday night. I actually went out in the first hand, but had fun dealing for the rest of the evening. Lisa ended up in third. So, a good Texas Hold 'Em weekend for her.

Sunday was much nicer and we were outside most of the day cleaning the boat. It was hard to leave the cottage with the weather being so nice. But, it is just the start of the summer.

Last weekend Lumina and I hosted a surprise baby shower for our friend Karen. We almost pulled off the surprise, but her husband driving up to the house at the exact same time kind of wrecked that element of surprise :) But, everyone had a great time (I believe) and I don't think Karen hates us too much.

Saturday, my friend Christi and I headed to Guelph for her friend Jen's stag and doe. It was in the cutest little church / schoolhouse. We had so much fun. I was in charge of the poker table as the dealer. Another weekend of Texas Hold 'Em! The first game I was out pretty early, but made up for it in the next two games where I came in second and first. My poker playing seems to be improving (I hope). I think it is time for another trip to Vegas.

That's about it for me. The sports are going okay. My lacrosse team is definitely doing well (no thanks to me), hockey we keep improving and baseball is definitely alot of fun.

This weekend is super packed again. Stagette and a pre-pride party, a possible golf game and then a trip to Wonderland. I hope I find the time for some rest.

I almost forgot to mention the book I just finished. I am highly recommending this one to everyone: 'We Need to Talk About Kevin'. It definitely makes you think, not a happy book by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely worth the effort.

After that, though, I needed to go for something a little less intense and I'm now reading book 3 of Anne of Green Gables (Anne of the Island).

1 comment:

Wo Kai Li said...

Well, you just need better timing don't you?