Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, June 11, 2007

I Tipped Over, I Didn't Wipe Out

On Saturday, my friend Liz called and asked what I was doing on Sunday. I replied 'I don't know, what am I doing on Sunday?' because I know that I will always say yes to whatever Liz and Michelle have planned (they organized the Newfoundland and the Nunavut trips).


The plan was to head up to Blue Mountain and go downhill mountain biking. Now, I went once about two years ago with Michelle and Liz in Guelph. It was mountain biking no real down hill elements. I really enjoyed it. But, this was going to be different, this was actually going down a hill that I normally go down on a snowboard. I was a little nervous (okay, I was a lot nervous).


Michelle and Liz both have their own bikes, so I needed to rent. Well, as most of you know, nothing ever goes smoothly for me. Liz attempted to get a confirmation rental in my name, but the woman on the phone couldn't handle the reservation being under one name and on a credit card for a different name. So, I called. Everything sounded fine. We got to Blue Mountain and they couldn't find my reservation, when they did it said it was for the day before and that I was late picking up the bike. Ah well, luckily they still had bikes left (normally they don't on nice days - and it was beautiful up there - so I was pretty lucky they still had one I could use). Then came the armour. Liz and Michelle had a helmet and gloves I could use, but I needed a chest protector, elbow and leg guards. Chest protector wasn't a problem (well, later on in the day it turned out I put it on backwards and no one told me); leg guards there was a chance they were going to have to go to elbow pads due to my very short legs. But, they found some kids ones that fit and I was ready to go.


Then came the first trepidation of the day: the lift. As some of you may be aware, I have a fear of chair lifts. I have fallen off at least two chair lifts in my skiing career and I'm still afraid to get off of one on the snowboard (even though I am quite the pro at it now). Luckily, taking a bike up a lift is a lot nicer than taking a ski lift. It actually reminded me of the ski lifts in the Austrian Alps. You put your skis on the outside of the lift and stand up for the ride in the gondola. This was pretty similar. There is a separate lift that takes the bikes up and we all stood in a gondola for the ride up. One you are at the top, they hand you your bike and you are ready to go.

So, I hopped on the bike and realized that the cross bar was much higher than my mountain bike and it was really hard to stand on flat footed.

Liz directed us towards a trail called Happy Valley. Sounds so nice, doesn't it. And really it was. Nice, long, sweeping curves, not too steep. Unfortunately, these long, sweeping curves were murder on my knees. My legs felt like jello. But, I didn't fall. I did have to stop the bike at one point and then it was very hard to get back on (most of the time I am okay with being short, really, I am). Liz held the bike for me while I got my balance and we were off again. It was fun, but my knees were killing me.

We did that run again and I needed a break. We had some gatorade and a granola bar and then headed back up. This time we were going to try another trail 'Fresh Air'. Which is really an odd name since this trail was not in the open air, but was through the trees (you heard me, through the trees). On the way to that trail we tried out a pump track. I was not good at this. I kept losing steam going up the hills and then would have to jump off my bike. Liz, of course, was quite good at this and made it look very easy. Then off to 'fresh air'. Much steeper and way more turns (through the trees). It started off okay and then I started to freak out about the fact that I could hurt myself quite badly due to the fact that the bike and I were not quite getting along. So, I walked the bike for a bit. Then I tried again. Well, I didn't wipe out, I tipped over very, very gradually (and it was on a straight section). I just lied on the ground and laughed until there were a couple of guys zipping through the trail and I had to get out of the way. After that I did stay on the bike for the rest of the trail and it was awesome, it didn't hurt my knees at all (probably because I was too scared to think about my knees).

I went down one more trail after that (happy valley), but my knees just couldn't handle it. That was it for me for the rest of the day. Liz and Michelle went back and did one more run each (and they found a trail for me for next time). I can't wait to go again, it was scary, but totally exhilarating. I do have some pictures, but no way to upload them while I'm here in the falls.

No comments: