Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, June 21, 2007

The New AFI List

Okay, I couldn't help it, I had to take a look at the new list.

There are ten that I haven't seen (well, one of them was on the original list, but I can't remember watching it again for that list. I know I've seen West Side Story, but I've decided I need to see it again).

I was quite happy to see the following additions to the list:
  • Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (amazing!)
  • Shawshank Redemption
  • In the Heat of the Night (I was surprised it wasn't on the original list)
  • All the President's Men
  • 12 Angry Men (the original of course)
  • Toy Story
  • Blade Runner (which should make my brother happy, if he cared about these things :)
Okay, what also makes me happy: 'Birth of a Nation' has come off of the list! What doesn't make me happy: 'The Searchers' is still on the list and it ranked higher this time. Did people not watch it, or is America still that racist?

I am not happy that the following movies are no longer on the list:
  • Dr. Zhivago
  • From Here to Eternity
  • The Third Man
  • Rebel Without a Cause
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind (because it is one of my dad's favourite movies)
  • The Manchurian Candidate (the original is amazing)
  • Frankenstein
  • Patton (it was just such a beautifully shot film)
  • Guess Whos' Coming to Dinner (I personally think this was too important a film to be left off)
So, I guess I'm off to watch more movies and let you know if they deserved to be on the list. If I remember correctly there were only a couple I didn't think should be on the list the last time.

No comments: