Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, July 20, 2007

Rowling and Potter

Now, I am a fan (for the most part) of the Harry Potter series of books. But, I believe it has gotten out of hand and Rowling is really annoying me. (If there weren't only one more book in the series - that I have already ordered - I would boycott the books just because of her.)

She's now annoyed with the New York Times for writing a review of the book a day before the book comes out. The reasoning is that the review may contain spoilers. I don't know how many children are reading the New York Times, but if they are, I suspect that they are smart enough to not read a review. I know most adults can make that decision for themselves as well. I personally don't care if someone tells me what happens in the books. I'll just be happy when it is done and all this craziness can (I hope) end.

I think she has a great story, but I am not a huge fan of her writing. The first chapters are always crap and The Order of the Phoenix was so bad. The book really only needed to be about 150 pages, yet it was over 700. It was like reading one of Stephen King's books when they stopped editing him. I love Stephen, don't get me wrong. But, I am not a fan of his books that are not edited like they should be. I am well aware that the book publishers love it when a book is longer because they can charge more. But, they can only do this for those authors that seem to have proven themselves. Which isn't good because then they wreck that authors legacy of good books.

Now I'm on a rant about King's books. This was supposed to be a rant about Rowling. I heard the movie for 'Order of the Phoenix' was really good. I totally believe that because whenever a book can actually be pared down to about a 150 pages, makes for a great movie (or at least in the right hands it should).

I'm still reading Wicked. I am now really enjoying it, but it does take effort to get through. I won't be home when Potter is delivered. I'll be off camping. I should finish Wicked tonight and then I will read some trash murder mystery on the camping trip. Probably start Potter next week to get it over with. Is it wrong of me to hope that Harry dies so that there can't be another book?

No comments: