Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

New Eyes

A couple of weeks ago my eyes were really bugging me so I went to see my optometrist. While there we discussed laser eye surgery. She told me that I would probably be a good candidate. So, I called TLC and made an appt. They checked out my eyes and told me I was definitely a good candidate and I could schedule an appt in two weeks.

I've worn glasses / contacts since I was around twelve years old (I can't remember if I first had them in grade 6 or grade 8). As soon as I could I was wearing contacts. I hated my glasses and hated any time that I had to wear them. For the most part I only wear them for the hour before bed and the 5 mins after I wake up.

When I heard about lasik eye surgery a couple of years ago it just really freaked me out. I couldn't fathom letting someone do something to my eyes. What if something went wrong, of if there was a problem that they didn't know about years after you had the surgery. But, really my issue was knowing I'd have to be awake for the surgery. Ick!

But, I decided it was time to do it. So, last Friday I went downtown for the surgery. It was very scary. They are super efficient over there, though. They showed me into the waiting room and took me through the procedure. In all the times people told me about the procedure, not once did anyone mention the fact that the doctor was going to have to stick something in my eye to pull open the flap that was created by the laser. That I did not like at all.

Other than that I was pretty impressed with how quick everything went. I was under the laser for 57 seconds for each eye (20 seconds to create the flap and 37 seconds to change the shape of my eye). As soon as it was done I sat up on the operating table and could see the clock.

Julia was kind enough to pick me up at the clinic and drive me home. On the way home I was able to see, even though everything was a little foggy (really it could have just been the Toronto smog). I slept for most of the day and then on Saturday morning I headed back to the clinic to have the optometrist make sure everything was okay. She gave me the go ahead to drive and that everything was healing fine. I go back on Friday for my next appt.

It's been weird this week, I keep thinking that I need to take my contacts out. Then I remember that I can actually see without contacts. It's crazy. Totally worth the money! I'm just worried about the first time I'm out drinking and think that I need to take out my contacts :)

I'm watching a very odd movie right now so it is very difficult to concentrate on writing this blog. I'm watching 'Hard Candy' and it is very odd.

No comments: