Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Left Handed Mouse

I'm right-handed, but I use a left-handed mouse. I hardly ever use a mouse so it really doesn't matter to me what hand I use for the mouse at my computer. I was having a problem with my right wrist a couple of years ago, so I switched.

This was all well and good for the most part. The only problems I really had were when someone had to remote to my computer or a techie had to stop by and do something. It was actually pretty funny.

This was until I couldn't sort columns in the software application I use all day. I thought it was a bug in a new version of the software. But, it was working for everyone else in the office, but not for me. I reinstalled, changed computers, nothing was working.

On a whim I decided to try switching my mouse buttons back to being right-handed. Low and behold that worked. It wasn't that the opposite buttons had to be pushed, it was that the options didn't work at all if the mouse was set up left-handed. Talk about bad programming. And once again the helpdesk couldn't help me, I had to figure the problem out by myself. Note to self: left-handed people are discriminated against by programmers :). Don't get me started on colour-blindness and software.

No comments: