Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Perils of Being Short

As many of you know, I am under 5 feet tall. For the most part I have come to terms with my shortness. I actually like being short most of the time. I can laugh at the fact that I am short and have fun with it.

I had forgotten one of the annoyances of being short: offices. By the time I had left ESI I had forgotten all of the problems I had at the beginning of my work there. Not problems with work, or people. No, I'm talking about problems with my desk and my chair. Did you know that most desks and chairs are made for people over 5 feet tall? Probably never thought about it, did you? Well, they are.

At ESI I had my desk lowered (it confused many people when they tried to sit on it), had to have the arms taken off of my chair (not always an easy task) and required a foot rest so that my feet weren't always dangling. But, after four years I was comfortable at my desk.

Now, I've had to start all over again. I'm at a desk that can not be lowered. I had a 'management' chair, which apparently everyone wanted. But, the chair could not be raised high enough so that I could sit comfortably at my desk. So, I switched it with another chair, but I could only remove one of the arm rests and it didn't slide on carpet at all. Plus, the depth of the seat was too long for my short legs and I couldn't with my back against the back rest. So, I found a new chair. This one appears to go high enough, the arms were super easy to remove and I can sit with my back against the back rest. I feel like Goldilocks.

No comments: