Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Dealing with Depression

Last night I went to my first clinic session for mood disorders: Dealing with Depression. I almost didn't go because I was having a crappy day. Luckily Lisa pointed out that this is exactly why I should go.

I think that it will be really good. I learned how depression feeds on itself and makes itself worse. Yeah! We learned about the vicious cycles of depression and how small changes can make big differences. Going away from the first session we are all to practice one thing to help break some of those cycles. Mine is to get off the couch. For over a year now I have been finding it quite difficult to get off of my couch (as many of you have noticed). Last night I did find myself on the couch a couple of times, but everytime I did I made myself get up and do something around the house. I was still able to watch the show I had on the tv, but I was also getting stuff accomplished.

Some of the other things I need to work on: stopping the negative thoughts and getting out and doing the things I used to love (i.e. hockey). So, even if I don't feel like going to hockey one day I still need to make myself go. I will be looking to all my friends to help me with this. I don't think I can do it all on my own (and they definitely pointed that out last night).

The clinic is ten sessions long and there are about 15 people in the session. Apparently they have a hard time getting people to come to this clinic since almost all of us have problems with getting out or helping ourselves. So, you may get emails on Tuesdays saying I don't feel like going. I may need you to push me :)

I felt really bad for one woman because her family believes that this is all in her head and not a real disorder. I am very lucky to have family and friends who do understand that I can't just make it go away (THANKS).

1 comment:

gollumullog said...

This is great news Mel. All it takes sometimes is that little push to turn everything around.

We're supporting you even if it is from far away.