Favourite Quote

The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Trivia - Awesome Music Round

Last night was my first night on my new trivia team: The Misplaced Modifiers. When I got there it was looking a little dicey. Only 3 guys from the other team showed up and then only two guys from my team showed up (normally you have 5 team members), plus no QM (quiz master). I gave my cousin Michelle a call, but her and Andrew weren't feeling well so they weren't up for it. After I got off the phone the rest of my team showed up and the QM. So, it was 5 against 3 (this means that the other team can't get the full two points on two questions every round).

Out of my first 5 questions I answered 4 of them correctly without help from my team. I couldn't believe it, I've never done that well. The last half of the night I did not do as well, only one question did I answer correctly.

But, my favourite part was the audio round. The round was 'non-hits' off of albums that had a number of hits. So, they played the 'non-hit' song and you had to name the artist. Well, I had some issues with what they took as 'non-hit' songs. 'Pictures of Lily' was a hit for The Who. Any song that makes it on to a greatest hits package is a hit by definition. Also, 'Nautical Disaster' by The Tragically Hip is a song they play almost every concert so really I wouldn't think of that as a 'non-hit'. I knew every band except my question and the guy across from me. I had a song by the Indigo Girls (and I should have known it after all the songs I heard in the car on the trip to Newfoundland with Liz and Michelle) and the guy across from me had Sam Roberts. I was really excited about the song by The Stones. It was a song I had never heard but I knew who it was as soon as the guitar started. It was classic Keith. Still not sure if it was Mick on vocals, but the guitar was unmistakable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A suggestion: maybe they should have called it the "non-single" song round? I mean, as you said, some songs aren't singles that the band releases off the album, but they become hits for whatever reason. So perhaps this would have been a better name for it. Then again, maybe my writer-ness is coming out and we're arguing about semantics here, but whatever. :-)